Liked the music at Ceremony last Sat.

DarkThreads mirv01 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 9 09:29:00 EST 2003

--- "S. Alexander Reed" <smr71+ at pitt.edu> wrote:
[snippage]
> It's a really tough balance to strike
> sometimes, especially if you're
> trying to blend new and old.  People,

This is what I'm sayin' and this is what I really
love and notice, when the DJ finds that elusive
"balance." And I know it's hard to turn us
resistant stubborn goths onto new music. I have
been making an effort lately to try new things...

> And finally, one note of practicality about the
> request lists: the
> DJs get anywhere from four to eight full pages
> of requests per night
> (with about 35 per page).  It is temporally
> impossible for them to
> play 200 song requests in a night.  Ceremony is
> 5 hours long, and in
> the first hour, there generall aren't enough
> patrons or requests to
> warrant playing something off the sheet yet.
> This leaves 4 hours in
> which to play requests.  Even if half the songs
> played are requests
> (which is a *lot*, given that the DJs must also
> take into account
> issues of flow from song to song and the
[snippage again]

I had no idea. Yes, I can see where this would be
a difficult task. But I have made this observance
at Ceremony before (and keep in mind that I am
not speaking to last Saturday, but to other past
occasions), where the dance floor has suddenly
cleared, and the folks are lined up at the
request table...this is a wake up call, hello!
Please play something else...

To introduce people to new music, sometimes you
need to slam us over the head with it, as in
making the announcement, "hey I just got this
here piece of new music and it's by such-and-such
an artist who might even be coming here on tour
or has a new album out or something..." At least,
that gets my attention and then I know what to
look for.

Okay maybe I should go to lunch now.

mirv

=====