We had (some) joy

Joel Young joel at inreverie.org
Tue Nov 4 07:37:38 EST 2003

On Nov 4, 2003, at 2:24 AM, <manny at telerama.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Your Fascist Dictator wrote:
>> i was lame, and bailed on my original plan to hit
>> both shows in order to try to catch up on my freelance backlog.
>> i could still kick myself for missing the show at the Rex.
> 33 people, Geoff and I lost $152 each (total $304).
> Worth doing, though - we showed Schematic we could hold it down, no
> matter if heads gave a fuck or not. Rom & Josh (Phoenicia) were super
> nice, Otto was his usual crazy self, Devine gave a stunning show.
>
> BTW, Geoff got 15 people at Machine Drum tonight.
> I got there late, only
> caught 1/2 of Travis' set. Nice guy, super young, only 21 and he
> already
> has 2 international distro'd albums out.
> these IDM kids are very precocious.

Both good shows, even if I got tired and cranky and left halfway
through the last set last night. Flashbulb put on a fun show, adding
metal guitar licks over his breakcore style beats. Something tells me
Pegritz at least would have liked it. :)

> seriously there may have been as few as 60 by my count.
> pittsburgh is really becoming a 'joke' to bands of all genres.

Is it just my imagination, or are there a lot more high quality shows
in the past couple months than Pittsburgh usually gets? This week
alone, there are 8 (!!) shows that I would normally consider going to,
and I don't know what to do with myself. Even my friends who are cool
enough to want to get out of the house and go to shows with me can't
really keep up with more than a couple of those (money, time, etc.). I
think all these shows are a great thing, but maybe that explains
somewhat why they're not being as well attended as they could be.

Joel Young
<reverie at cmu.edu>
<www.inreverie.com>