tomorrow: the real cultural litmus test

manny at telerama.com manny at telerama.com
Wed Nov 19 15:30:03 EST 2003

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Pauline Law wrote:
> i dunno -- i'd like to see the musicians, but music can be very
> instrumental (no pun intended) to setting the tone of on-screen action,
> much more so (i think) than for a painting...[1]
> of course, since i have no acting experience, this could be me talking out
> of my ass,

yes, because there is no 'acting' or 'action'.

Brakhage's films are the equivalent of improvised or electronic
experimental music or avantgarde paintings, but *on film*. That is the
point, that is why he was so influential and seminal - he was one of the
first known people to do film that way. And I'm sure that's why Ranaldo
& Co want to make the crossover connection - only in doing so, they are
ignoring the express wishes of the filmmaker.

i just realized - this is probably the best 'high art' discussion that
this list has ever had ;)