german goth question

Ysobelle at aol.com Ysobelle at aol.com
Sun Nov 30 23:54:20 EST 2003

On 11/30/03 11:03 PM, quoth the effervescent elheme at telerama.com at
elheme at telerama.com:

>Hi,
>
>I've noticed that a lot of bands such as anzwut etc use what sound like
>bagpipes in their music.  I didn't think that bagpipe are cultrally used in
>germany .. why are they used .. or are they not bagpipes?

All you could possibly want to know about the history of bagpipes in
Germany:

http://sackpfeifen.virtualave.net/deutschsack/dudel1e.htm

Though the bagpipe most people think of first is the Highland pipe from
Scotland, or maybe uilleann pipes from Ireland, the bagpipe was a type of
instrument found all over Europe and even Arabia as far back as the
ancient Greeks. We may today think of them as Celtic, but that's not
really how they began.

At any rate, many of the groups who use them today-- I'm partial to
Corvus Corax, myself-- invoke a sort or medieval/Renaissance flavour, and
by that time, bagpipe-like-instruments were pretty common all over the
place.

Almost apropos of this convo, there's a rock group from Australia called
Brother who use bagpipes and didgeridoo. They're pretty yummy.