new Ceremony website + coat check

manny at telerama.com manny at telerama.com
Thu Oct 9 16:38:42 EDT 2003

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Jennifer Maurer wrote:
> Wow, you night shift djs.  *tsk, tsk, tsk*  First someone posts that they've
> never seen a ceremony flyer, now Manny reveals that you still have last
> year's flyers up around town.  Slackers.

Not Ceremony's fault. I didn't mean for anything to be 'revealed'. That
flyer I mentioned is up at that Tattoo Shop, it may not still be up
anywhere else. I just happened to mention that I liked that one
especially.
Ceremony's cards, just like my flyers, do appear everywhere relevant.
The slackerness is not in us (at least, promotionwise - the thud being a
whole 'nother matter) but in the people, who are dense enough not to
notice. Many a time I have flyers all over town and someone says to me,
'I didn't see any flyers for that.' Or I have had articles in the City
Paper every week, and someone says 'I never see your byline in that paper
anymore.' Of course, people are not necessarily obligated to notice every
single thing the way I tend to, but I've found that even when they do look
*directly* at something they still don't see it or care about it, unless
it's something they're already extremely familiar with. Someone
mentioned getting a flyer at a UK Subs show - well, many is the time
that I have handed upwards of 300 handbills to people after a show and
most of them either ignore it entirely or toss it after a perfunctory
glance - as a result, direct handbilling never has any effect on
attendance, so I don't do it often unless I have some extra time.
People are idiots, you have to make that assumption from the get
go and plan for the worst. Never assume anyone knows or cares about
something because the probability is very high that they don't.
-MT