PGH drivers

Mike Yacht meatnog at meatnog.com
Wed Sep 24 13:10:23 EDT 2003

Sure there is.   If you're headed outbound (East) from downtown, there is
only one intersection to connect to both Homestead and Squirrel Hill.  Since
there is no room for a giant cloverleaf, the only way they could get an
onramp there was to scoot it down a bit.  I have a sneakin' suspicion it was
just the best way they could wedge that fucker in there without pissing
everyone off (and thus having it fail, just like the 5th/forbes project).

Not all cities are planned in advance, like the Midwest and west coast.
When you consider what that area was like prior to 376, which really wasn't
THAT long ago, you can imagine all the homeowners and all the little streets
and they neither wanted to give up their land nor did the streets lined up.

Now, if you just want to bitch that it is a pain in the ass and annoying,
I'm right there with ya.  I'm not saying I like it, I think the entire
Squirrel Hill 376 interchange is a great big clusterfuck.  Goofy ass on/off
ramps eastbound combined with a tunnel less than 100 feet away, not to
mention that stopsign...

But the alternative probably was no interchange at all.

I don't know why people bother with that exit anyway.  I live in Squirrel
hill and never use that exit.  Go down Forbes to Braddock and get on 376E
there.  Much faster, easier and no tunnel.  Headed west?  Go down the Blvd
of the Allies.

-Nog (I've seen worse.)