definitions

Pope Jeremy automaticlarynx at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 2 14:45:32 EST 2004

--- Rickness <elheme at eyesclosed.net> wrote:
> What's the differences between future pop synthpop
> freezepop blh blah blah
> or is it realy not that much?

Synthpop is a much more inclusive term than the other
two. Futurepop is a very specific kind of synthpop,
and Freezepop, as far as I know, is a single synthpop
band.

Synthpop seems to includes everything from Tears for
Fears, and the Pet Shop Boys to The Cruxshadows and
The Faint.  As far as I can figure, synthpop just
means that it's pop music made with primarily
synthesizers, or which very prominently and constantly
features synths.

Future pop seems to be a narrow sub-sub-genre which
primarily includes the bands VNV Nation, Covenant, and
Apoptima Berserk, three bands which concurrently rose
to dance floor prominence, and which, save for perhaps
Covenant, have recently receive a great deal of dance
floor popularity backlash. Many have said that the
time for futurepop has come and gone.

It seems to me that these bands are set apart by their
exclusive use of synths, as opposed to a band like,
say, Tears for Fears which uses guitars, real drums,
and all sorts of non-synth instruments. However, I’ve
never heard Kraftwerk called futurepop, and they use
exclusively synths, even though I could see how
ideologically the label, prima facie, sounds like it
could apply. Also, futurepop seems to be a lot more
concerned with making music for the dance floor than
does synthpop at large.

It’s always difficult to make firm and clear rules
about the classification of such tiny sub-sub-genres
based on aural criteria. I think that bands like VNV
Nation are futurepop bands for the same reason that
bands like Blink-182 are punk bands. You could make an
argument as to why they don’t fit any preexisting, or
easily codified categorization of such things, but it
doesn’t matter, because they’re called what they’re
called.

- Pope Jeremy

=====
http://automaticlarynx.shadyhouse.com

In 1977 there were 150 Elvis impersonators. By 1999 there were 35,000. If this rate of growth continues, by the year 2019, more than one third of the world's population will be Elvis impersonators.