help a grad student with information! please!

arcane eolh at cox.net
Tue Apr 27 01:13:15 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I'm a graduate student in cultural studies at George Mason University in
Fairfax, VA.  A lot of you know me as an expatriate of the Pittsburgh
scene. I'm currently working on a paper on goth identity and the ways in
which it comes into conflict with the general public's perception of
goth, focusing in particularly on the aftermath of Columbine.  I'd
really appreciate some help!  What I need, specifically, is information
from people who consider themselves to be goth (or rivethead, or simply
"freak", anything related) on both their perceptions of the culture and
their experiences in dealing with the general (non-goth) public.

If you'd like to help, I need the following: your name (or some
pseudonym by which you can be identified), your age, and answers to the
following questions:

1. How do you define “goth”?

2. Why do you choose to identify yourself as a goth?

3. How do you think the general public perceives goths?

4. Where were you around the time when the shootings at Columbine
happened?  Both location (city, etc.) and time of life (high school,
college, working, etc.) will be helpful.

5. Did your identification as a goth have any effect on the way you were
treated or viewed by the general public following Columbine?

6. Do you think the events at Columbine had a significant lasting effect
on the way goths are viewed by the general public?

Please email your responses to me at eolh at cox.net by Friday, April 30th.
  Also please note that by responding, you are giving me consent to use
quotes and information from your response in my paper, which I reserve
the right to publish at a later date.

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Matt