interviewing famous people

Christy Sawyer christy at spookee.net
Sun Aug 22 14:35:40 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pauline Law" <plaw at andrew.cmu.edu>
To: <pgh-goth-list at listless.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 21, 2004 11:53 PM
Subject: interviewing famous people

> this is totally in the realm of "what if", but it may become a relevant
> "what if" in my life in the near future.. so, if one were to interview a
> Rather Noted Industrial Band, what the hell would she ask? somehow, i
> can't imagine "um.... do you like ponies?" going over so well.

I asked my friend Brian who is the managing editor for a popular music
magazine. He had a lot of good advice, since he's always interviewing fairly
famous people like Robert Smith, Skinny Puppy, Ministry, etc.  :)

Here's what he said:

"First -- RESEARCH. She should scour the internet for any information on the
band. Try to find out the bio info (when'd they form, how'd they form, etc)
beforehand. Tell her to become familiar with their discography. Read past
articles on the band, paying particular attention for "anecdote-y" stuff
that she might want to ask about herself.

Second -- She should write out her questions. This way, she won't forget
what she wants to ask... She doesn't have to actually READ the questions
from the sheet during the interview, but it's something she can glance at to
make sure she's covered all her points without having to stop everything
while she wracks her brain...  Be sure to write out FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS that
anticipate possible answers to initial questions... So if she asks, "Was it
difficult working with a singer who's been legally dead for the last ten
years," she'll remember to follow it up with either "Wow -- how did you get
around those problems," OR "Gee -- did you imagine it'd make things so
simple?" You know, whatever. Bad examples but you get the idea...

She can also write down whatever facts she uncovered when doing research so
she's got the info at her fingertips.

Third -- Despite my lame-ass example above, she should try to avoid yes or
no questions. I mean, okay, sometimes that's the question you need to ask
and there's nothing you can do about it. But, to use the lame-ass example
above, instead of asking, "Was it difficult working with..." she could try
asking, "What was the most difficult part about working with..." This leads
to a more informative answer, as well as potential anecdotes, which are as
good as gold in the journalistic world.

Yeah -- get anecdotes. Even if they're as simple as, "What was your last
tour like? How do you guys all function on the road together? Is there any
band member who's craziest? Which? What's he do? How do you react to that?"
Lame, yes, but it'll produce something that will likely make for a decent
introductory paragraph in lieu of anything else...

Have an angle going into the interview. Have a notion of what the story's
going to be about if at all possible. This way you can focus your questions.
However -- and this is important -- don't be afraid to abandon the angle if
better stuff presents itself. The initial angle is just a starting point.
Ideally, the interview will reveal more info that makes for a better story.

USE A TAPE RECORDER. And she should try not to use one of those mini
recorders. The tapes break. As do the recorders, and if the recorder goes
when she needs to transcribe the interview, she's fucked -- she'll have a
harder time finding someone with a mini tape recorder than she would finding
someone with a regular tape recorder. Always anticipate the worst... And on
that note, she shouldn't forget to TEST THE TAPE RECORDER BEFORE THE
INTERVIEW. Nothing sucks more than getting home from a really good
conversation and discovering nothing but blank tape... Believe me, I know
this one from firsthand experience.

Take notes during the interview. If a question pops into her head, she
should jot it down somewhere or SHE WILL FORGET IT. Again, happens to me all
the time.

Always get the subject to elaborate on whatever he or she just said. They'll
give the basic answers, the journalist should try to dig deeper. She
shouldn't be afraid to ask for more info. Don't be afraid to push (without
being rude, of course).

MOST IMPORTANT!!!! The subject is NOT HER FRIEND. She is not their friend.
Don't let their status as a famous musician -- one which she might honestly
admire -- get in the way of her doing her job, which is to GET THE STORY.
Don't be afraid to ask questions, and don't coddle them... If the person
happens to reveal that they shot a man just to watch him bleed, well...
That's pretty significant. Follow that up..."
----

I hope that helps. :)

Christy
http://www.spookee.net