Clear Channel (was Re: rock club question)

Brian J. Parker beep at telerama.com
Wed Dec 1 16:58:50 EST 2004

The minimal research of plugging '"Clear Channel" republican' into Google
isn't too tough, if one wishes to explore links between the media giant
and the Republican party.  Some of their controversial decisions that
indicate a likely right-wing bias are well-known: pulling Howard Stern's
show after he criticized Bush, removing the Dixie Chicks and other
peacenik artists from their playlists.  But there's more, if you have
time.

Not that one could blame them or be surprised: generally, Republicans want
to remove restrictions on businesses, including monopoly laws that inhibit
the growth of giant media conglomerates like Clear Channel.  Democrats
tend to be more regulatory.

Political inclinations aside, it's easy to argue that Clear Channel hurts
consumer choice.  It takes little research to realize their vast reach;
they own multiple radio stations in most cities and leverage that monopoly
to control which concerts appear.  As a result, less musical choice is
available to the consumer, and they don't need to compete to provide
higher quality or lower prices.  Manny has a vested interest, of course,
but he's right on.

Mick, your argument that there are better companies to boycott is fairly
facile (though I suspect you know that and just like winding Manny up).
To take an example: I could probably afford to give $1000 to help feed
starving children.  But I'm selfish and spend $900 on myself, then give
$100 to an animal shelter.  Should I just have spent that $100 on myself
since I didn't give every possible cent to the best possible charity?  Or
is it better to do a little than nothing at all?  I'd argue the latter any
day.

Brian

P.S. - Google 'Rupert Murdoch' while you're at it, and boycott Fox.
Stream Air America radio.  Write your congressman.  Vote.