bodycandy.com

MT fachmoir at freedminds.com
Mon Feb 2 20:37:38 EST 2004

> The term is not used by the medical community
> or the metallurgical community, and there have been no
> standards set for this bogus type of metal.

actually both AORN and JAMA recognise the term "surgical steel". it  is
recommended by them and several other medical societies that all instruments
be of  a certain alloy. which that alloy is the only composition allowed to
be listed as "surgical steel" by medical instrument manufacturers. shame the
original alloy master who created this alloy did not patent it. surgical
steel is a very specific alloy used because of its balance, ability to be
steralised over and over with damage to the alloy and its ability to be kept
keen . most stainless steel poxs with repeated washing or use.

many places list 316L as "implant-grade surgical steel". implant grade
refers to the finish to the alloy, not the steel alloy itself. there are
very specific guidelines to implant grades. so i am not sure where you get
this "bogus type of metal" idea.

however or whenever the term was coined doesn't lessen or increase validity.
the recognising of said term by a respected group(s) does.

> When looking for piercing jewelry, one would want to
> ask if the material is "implant grade stainless
> steel". The standards for implant grade stainless
> steel have been set by the American Society of Testing
> and Materials. 316L stainless steel is one of the two
> types of steel, which are considered "implant grade".

implants are made mostly of unalloyed titanium. simply put implant-grades
are more focused to finished titanium now, not steel. yes, at one point
"steel" (Cobalt, Titanium, Vanadium alloy) was used, however, it is no
longer the true implant standard. since we are on the subject of
implants...there are some newer technologies which use a ceramic based
plastic for certain joint replacement. these are also listed by the implant
grades.

> There is much more that goes into the making of a
> piece of jewelry after the choice of material. The
> manner in which a piece is milled and polished, and
> the way in which seams are dealt with is just as
> important from the perspective of safety and
> durability as the type of metal which is being used.

strewn 316L steel, not flushed tube or molded would produce the best due to
its seemlessness and coldpressing.  i would like to meet someone local
making jewelry to that level of ability.

> For example, even a piece made with 316L stainless
> steel can cause serious problems if there is a
> microscopic bump, divot, or crack in the piece. Such
> imperfections when placed inside an open wound can
> tear at the flesh and continue to aggravate the tear,
> potentially causing long-term problems.

very true.
however, you are still knocking a company that you know little, if anything
about.
I have dealt with this company before. i have never had an issue or heard of
an issue with their jewelry.

does hotrod make their own jewelry. if not, ask them where they get it.
from another company, if not bodycandy, you know little about, and would
probably think cheap - only because hotrod are charged 25 - 50 cents per
plain loop, barbell, etc.. without the fancy beads, captives or stops. the
premanufactured  they (hotrod) sell are more likely bought for near what i
paid today. they just charge their customers 16 - 30+ dollars per because
piercings are cool and hip. hell, i don't blame for doing it - its what the
market allowes. but hey, you know, i guess their pricing of that item makes
it better than what i got.

what i ordered today for 10bucks with shipping, would have cost me 30 or
more at a local shop and i am damn sure its as good.

> With so many potential issues, I would not consider
> getting a piercing without first consulting with a few
> professional piercers from separate shops.

agreed!
please note:  i was never talking about getting pierced.
i was talking about the jewelry for after.

> > oh, and no comment on hotrod...

> a·poph·a·sis  (-pf-ss) n.
> Allusion to something by denying that it will be
> mentioned, as in "I will not bring up my opponent's
> questionable financial dealings."

i love that word.

> If you have some information on the reliability of a
> piercer, please share it.

will do...
several, people i know have gotten piercings there. when the shop first
opened.  paul had his nipples pierced there. the piercings were shallow and
uneven. one got caught on his t-shirt and tore the nipple. heh. i think McG
has seen pauls nipple to attest to it.  this caused his nipple to look like
a a bad 'nipple incision' breast job.

Jessica's tongue only hours (roughly 4 or 5) after the piercing- well it was
not pretty.  she ended up at shadyside hospital. to be honest, i do not know
the full problem with Jess' tongue. since i was with her most of that time i
know it was not due to negligence on her part, and she says she was told by
the attending at the ER it was how the tongue was pierced.  only one of the
five was happy with the service.  i cannot speak for their talent now, but
those two incidents alone have kept me from hotrod for anything.

-mi