Alcohol and short term memory loss at 80's night...

B beep at telerama.com
Mon Jan 12 10:52:32 EST 2004

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 aaron at telerama.com wrote:

> > but the primary focus is now the style of music that would have
> > been heard in what at the time was known as "a progressive/alternative
> > club."  This is also, I should note, Lou's core competency.
>
> this shit made me laugh for 5 minutes.

There is certainly irony in consciously attempting to sound like "a
progressive/alternative club" circa twelve to fifteen years ago.  Perhaps
different nomenclature ("classic industrial club") would seem less
oxymoronic.

I'm concerned that, given the limited number of G/I dollars to go around
and Ron's high (for Pittsburgh) cover charges, this won't work.  What I
fear will happen is that the crowd will fracture; it'll siphon off several
older Ceremony patrons, pull a couple from 80's night, and end up pulling
roughly the same amount of money with more overhead.  Ron is better served
with a radically different style of music or with live bands; the G/I
scene is better served by competing nights *in different venues* so as to
cater to goths on, say, the South Side.

It's easy to conjecture, of course.  I hope I'm wrong and all three nights
succeed swimmingly.

brian j. parker
gamer, geek, & black-clad cliche