pittsburgh wins

Ancilla Sea-Maid ancilla6 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 9 04:45:50 EST 2004

we just had indescribable amounts of fun in two gay
bars. neither were named ceremony. chicago wins. -t.
--- pgh-goth-list-bounces at listless.org
<plaw at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> dear pgh goth list,
>
> earlier tonight, i went to ceremony boston. of
course, since ceremony
> boston is 18+, thereby keeping out the revitalizing,
entertaining force
> that minors are, i had to pull that, "well, i'm from
pittsburgh, and i
> left my id there, but, um, here's my college id, i
don't know if you
> care, i'm underage anyway" thing...
>
> anywho. ceremony is held in the back of this irish
pub. it was early when
> i left (circa 11:30pm), but there were not very many
people at all. they
> were often fancily dressed. i was the only one not
in entirely black (for
> fuck's sake, i felt pretty underdressed in gray
plaid pants, black shirt
> and chucks!) or not in foppy pirate clothing.
>
> i had never stayed at ceremony solely for the club
night, since the one
> other time i did that sneaky underage sneaking in
incognito thing was for
> a friend's band and then we left immediately
afterwards. what to say about
> them.. they danced stupidly. i like to refer to it
as 'robot shadow
> dancing', where as my dance style is 'rock and roll
hero'. it was really
> dumb.  the dance area is small (it's a small night)
and too heavily lit
> with lots of fog and a purple cast everywhere.
>
> and the music! you will definitely find me
complaining about music at
> ceremony pgh, but not only was it all ebm (which
people were not even
> dancing very much to), it was all ebm that sounded
one hundred percent
> exactly the same. a girl can only take so much
funker vogt, after all.
> the opening hour, in which they spin 'difficult' and
'esoteric' music, was
> cheesy orchestral goth contemporary classical or
whatever.. or maybe it
> was just baroque. you know, i do like baroque music,
but in a fucking
> dance club? talk about sticks up one's ass. salo
agrees - people are more
> uptight here.  you would *never* hear something like
the rapture there..
> which is cool, you know, the rapture just aren't
goth, but it seemed like
> all the artists they played had formed before 1996.
good job on the
> diversity, guys.
>
> because i am sleep deprived, a. this email makes
little sense and b. i
> knocked salo's drink out of his hand right before i
left. i am BRILLIANT.
> at my prompting, salo came out instead of being a
hermit, and leaked and
> trickled yet another story about
his/bradley/kevin/william eisenhower (i
> think these were all the names that were brought up,
maybe that guy
> twiggy? swiggy? guy who stole a bunch of ephedrine
from morewood
> basement?)'s haven house days.  oh boy.
>
> so yeah - i may knock it, but ceremony pgh is 100%
better than ceremony
> boston and more interesting and the music is more
diverse and the people
> are funner to watch and hang out with and *boy*
those goths were not
> terribly hot, whereas everyone i know here is
smokin'. i guess it's
> because, in a gothtropolis like boston, there are
lots of goths around so
> one can afford to be insular and still have variety
in one's social life -
> whereas pgh kids need to mix it up a little or else
they would know and
> date within the same very small number of people.
>
> manray.. oh boy. i don't even need to go to manray
to know that i don't