Welcome Ria and a call for whats up in town!!

Brian J. Parker brian.j.parker at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 17:09:47 EDT 2005

Hi Ria, Robert... wow, Ria, you got really lucky on the timing.  Nice
to have you in town!

As far as a general "hangout" I think The Beehive on the Southside is
still where most "goth" kids go... but I don't do much general
"hanging out" any more.  Lots of drinking-age hipsters like "The
Squirrel Cage" at the corner of Murray and Forbes in Squill, or of
course Gooski's in Polish Hill.

Right now just about the only regular club event you've got is
Ceremony, which is Saturdays at The Upstage in Oakland
(http://ceremony.pghgoth.com).  It's usually pretty hopping,
especially now that school's back in session, and the rotating cast of
DJs (of which I am one) means the music will be a little different
every time.  It's a pretty good event that belies the size of the
city.  I know that someone has an irregular (monthly?) event downtown
too, and I've heard rumblings of something else maybe starting, but I
don't know the details offhand.

The majority of shows are at Garfield Artworks: MapQuest it, know it,
love it, dress light for it, because it can get really hot and stuffy
(hopefully the change of seasons will help with that).  We don't get
many "big" shows these days, but when it comes to indie acts we've got
an embarrassment of riches, thanks to Manny Theiner's continued work.

I should be at the Voices of Masada show and I'll be DJing at Ceremony
this weekend, so please say hello.

Brian (aka DJ Badtz)