promote - promote - promote!!!

Brian J. Parker brian.j.parker at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 09:38:33 EDT 2005

On 9/23/05, Adam Rixey <arixey at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/23/05, Sc'Eric (aka darkFIN) <darkfin6012 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > (Have the PghGoth folks ever considered switching to a list that supports graphics?  It would GREATLY increase the effectiveness of posts.)
>
> No it wouldn't.  It would certainly make me unsubscribe, and I'm sure
> I'm not alone.

Yeah, me too.  Well, maybe not, since GMail blocks images
automatically.  But I don't want unsolicited images in my email
(especially since I often sneak a read at work, like now).

I do think that Sc'Eric, and everyone, have great advice for
promoters.  The problem is, right now, that we don't HAVE many
promoters, really.  And who can blame them?  The only people who can
afford the financial risk are people who don't have the time for all
that promoting we've been advising.

I think Manny hit on soemthing insightful some time ago: a big problem
is that most goth bands are too big for their britches with the
guarantees.  Punk bands, indie bands, just about every other genre
understands that they've got to make sacrifices when they tour; it's
all about sleeping in the van, playing for the door, and hoping to
spread the word and sell some CDs.  Goth bands still ask for hundreds
of dollars in guarantees, luxuries backstage, and a hotel room.
Fortunately I think we're running out of starstruck kids who will
entertain their demands.

Brian (aka DJ Badtz)
former starstruck kid who gave Diatribe (never heard of 'em? exactly!) $200