triphop, old-school goth-rock, IDM, noise, power-tronics, etc....

manny@telerama.com manny at telerama.com
Sun Feb 19 16:12:13 EST 2006

Quoting "Sc'Eric (aka darkFIN)" <darkfin6012 at yahoo.com>:

This is just more  fodder for my arsenist tendency to burn down
> the dancefloor and rebuild  it as an IDM lounge.

1) Yet, aren't you one of the people who refused to allow a group of live
electronic/IDM artists from Pittsburgh to play in State College in 2002? Or was
that your evil clone?

2) You don't have to get rid of the dancefloor. IDM *is* danceable. That's the
point. It's 'intelligent' dance music for people who are smart enough to be
able to respond physically to things other than four-on-the-floor techno beats
(a leftover from the rave days) which still plague the G/I scene, making the
subgenre *retrogressive* even when compared to mainstream rap (the variety of
beats from artists like Dem Franchise Boyz or Twista is more exciting that
those at a goth club!). As for how you dance to IDM - downtempo makes you
shuffle & sway, instrumental hiphop do the headnod, electro makes you break or
do the robot, breakcore makes you jerk around or even slam. Those who have been
to IDM shows in Pittsburgh in the past 5-6 years (and the vast majority of you
have NOT checked these shows out yet) would already know this.