the politics of dancing (and seeing live bands)

Brian Pennington cellophanesky at mac.com
Wed Feb 22 11:55:42 EST 2006

Much as I hesitate to insert myself into an argument on a mailing
list, which makes me feel like it's 1997 all over again, I cannot
resist.

I don't even live in Pittsburgh, I live an hour and a half away in
Morgantown, WV, but I do drive up to Pgh for shows and Ceremony on a
regular basis. I've lived in bigger and smaller cities than
Pittsburgh, and I have to say that DIY shows in Pittsburgh are
impressive in what bands they manage to draw but equally unimpressive
in terms of venue quality. I know this isn't any promoter's fault,
it's a problem with laws in the city and the malaise of those who
would be interested. But I think it's a misnomer to look at the
malaise as some sort of viral growth that has nothing to do with
conditions.

Let's face it, we're all on here because we love music, but seeing a
band is not all about hearing the music, just like dining isn't 100%
about the food. It's also about the service and the ambience. That
one Indian place by GA has the best service I think I've ever gotten,
incidentally. But I love the crazy Indian music vids at India Garden.
For amazing food I'll forego both service AND ambiance but it's
definitely an equation I form in my head, and bands are the same.
I've driven up to Pittsburgh to see some fantastic shows that you
have promoted, Manny, and it's impressive that you can stay 'in
business' so to speak and still bring in consistently cool music.

But rarely does a band I am already intimately familiar with make its
way to somewhere I can see them. More often, it's a band I've heard I
might like, or that I know several or even one song by. I'm happy to
take risks on music, as that's the best way to discover something
new. However, it's a lot easier to take a risk on a band I'm not sure
I'd like if the venue is a fun place to hang out in regardless of the
music. In Morgantown I'll routinely go out to shows by bands I've
only vaguely heard about because I know I can sit at the bar and
drink some cheap beer and run into friends in the event that the band
doesn't tickle my fancy. If I bring friends or my girlfriend, I can
be assured they won't want to stab me because if they don't dig the
band and I do, and they also had to sit around on folding chairs
waiting for me to finish my enjoyment so they could leave.

If I go to Ceremony, I can pretty much be assured I'll have a good
time. Even on nights the DJs don't spin that much of what I like,
it's danceable and I can get vaguely drunk and still enjoy myself.
Dancing is fun in a way distinct from seeing a good live act, and the
two should not be treated as substitutes for one another. If I go
bowling or out to a party, these things are not as inherently risky
as going out to see a live show. If you can somehow make the
experience of going to the show vaguely enjoyable, then it's easier
to justify taking that risk, and when people don't have a good time
they remember it and don't come back, even if things change.

I think DIY shows are great and shows in art spaces can be totally
cool. Back when I used to live in Ohio I attended some fantastic
shows at Speak in Tongues in Cleveland, which was BYOB, horribly run
down and in crack den alley. Garfield is gorgeous compared to that.
It's just that if you want to increase attendance and make shows more
enjoyable for everyone, it's important not to just shrug off these
complaints, however tactlessly they are presented to you. Obviously a
soda machine is not the answer but surely as a promoter your hands
are not enitrely tied.

Also, since I'm already mailing you all, my friends Descension Rate
are coming up to Pittsburgh tonight to play at Serenity at the Z
Lounge. As I understand it there are DJs before and after the live
band. We do this at a dance night here in Morgantown as well, I know
it's not always possible for every venue but it works really nicely
at times. Anyway, they put on a really amazing show, so I hope some
people come out and see them because I can't drive up for it.

(Brian.)