triphop, old-school goth-rock, IDM, noise, power-tronics, etc....

Jeremy David epistemology at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 12:41:07 EST 2006

On 2/23/06, Kelly Ashkettle <kellyashkettle at yahoo.com> wrote:
> But now that this has been dragged out into the open, > I'm curious to hear the story: what did ThouShaltNot
> think that Manny promised them that he did
> not deliver?

He promised money, which he did not pay. He also didn't even show up
to the venue until a few minutes before the show started. After the
show he tried to leave without even talking to us, but someone managed
to track him down as he was trying to sneak away. He then found it in
his heart to give us about ten or twenty bucks before he ran off,
which was not even enough to cover gas money, and certainly less than
he promised. We can afford a couple bumps in the road like this, but
how many small bands who are trying to get started can't?

When we got to the venue at the agreed-upon time, Manny wasn't even
there, the venue was locked, and nothing was set-up for a show. We had
to wait around in the street until the venue manager got there, and
then we had to get the entire venue ready ourselves. Our drummer's
wife even helped out. Then, a few minutes before the show, Manny shows
up and charges our drummer's wife admission to the show. Now that's
nerve: charging a woman for doing your job for you. How many hard
working bands won't play another show in Pittsburgh because they don't
want to deal with this kind of a Manny Theiner rip-off a second time?

I really like touring, and I love playing shows. What I don't like is
getting together with people and discussing a possible show or tour,
and hearing someone mention, "Well, what if this promoter stiffs us
again? Can we afford to deal with that?" Once this happens too many
times, you can't rely on promoters anymore at all. Some bands are well
established enough and experienced enough to handle this kind of scam.
But how many small bands never really got a chance to get started
because of behaviour like Manny's?

I know that Manny will have a very well thought out and considerate
response to what I wrote. I just hope that having to read an account
of his own behavior will make him consider acting more justly in the
future, so that more people don't get screwed over. I'm sure that
Manny will demand that I prove all this, which I can't. This is an
e-mail list. There's no way for me to offer proof of any kind on an
e-mail list other than my own words. Manny knows it's true, though. I
hope that Manny really thinks about it.

Manny's favorite excuse is that it's not his fault that he can't pay
bands sometimes, because *you* don't come to his shows, and because
*you* don't know enough about this month's obscure hip band. It's
actually *your* fault that he can't be responsible. It's every one's
fault but Manny's! That's funny, because there are plenty of promoters
who make sure that houses are full, in this town and in many others,
for bands that no one has ever heard of. I know of one who got Laga
packed for the Dresden Dolls before anybody had ever heard of them. I
know of more who have had venues packed for bands that are long
forgotten. And there are plenty of promoters who fulfil all financial
and other obligations to venues and bands, even if enough fans don't
happen to show up. Why do they do it? Because it's the right thing to
do, and I appreciate them immensely for it, because they make it
possible for good bands to continue playing shows.

Manny knows a whole lot about the history of popular music, and I do
believe that he actually cares about in it. It's saddening that his
lack of responsibility and ethics holds him back from being really
productive. I know that he's already been banned from WRCT for theft.
I believe, although I am not sure, and feel free to correct me if I'm
wrong, that he's also been banned from a venue or two for similar
reasons, which is why he has to hold his shows at a tiny art gallery
that is not acoustically adequate for a musical performance. That's a
shame, because he does have a lot to contribute if he could only get
his act together, which I sincerely hope that he does, and I believe
that he can do it. He's a smart guy and a capable guy when he wants to
be. But I won't believe that he has actually become a reliable person
until I see it for myself.