Pgh movies (Re: 9th Anniversary of Ceremony/zombies)

Michael J. Salo salo at rcn.com
Tue Jan 24 23:03:36 EST 2006

> >  Do any of you have some ideas for things I can show him besides
> the Monroeville Mall (site of Dawn of the Dead)?
> >
>Lots of places around Oakland were used in other horror movies.
>Serpentine Drive in Schenley Park, the rear doors of Wean Hall, and
>Mellon Institute were all in Romero's "Monkey Shines" movie.  Soldiers
>& Sailors memorial is where Hannibal Lecter was imprisoned until he
>stole a security guard's face.  And the whole city was used in
>"Striking Distance", which was terrifyingly awful.

also, Margaret Morrison Hall at CMU:  setting of Creephow, episode "The Crate".

I'm a big fan of Pittsburgh movies.  My favorite of all would be
Wonderboys, filmed on campus while I was attending CMU (and caused
extreme gridlock), around 98-99.  I feel that this movie captures the
essence of Pgh.

Honorable mention to Flashdance.  Probably the only major film where
a character takes the "lift" up Mt Washington?

Michael J. Salo
www.strangefortune.com
The source for strange & exquisite sounds