Numan/Combichrist

Chris Rapier rapier1 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 15:15:53 EDT 2006

On 7/14/06, j eric townsend <jet at flatline.net> wrote:
> Wouldn't they just pass the cost of the tax on to the customer or otherwise include it in the cost of doing business?

Yes. Which is why I was thinking what I was thinking. Amusement tax
used to be 8% so on a $5 ticket (for exmaple) 40 cents went to the
city. The Amusement tax has since been reduced to 5% which means our
example ticket prices can be reduced to $4.85. However, no one is
going to drop the ticket prices so that means the extra 3% goes to the
promoter or venue. 3% doesn't sound like a lot but say you put on 100
shows a year with an average attendance of 100 people each paying $10
($100k in gross receipts). Thats an extra $3000 a year. Which isn't a
huge amount but its nothing to laugh at.

Of course, I am not entirely sure how the Amusement tax is applied and
I have a strong feeling that small promoters and venues don't even
consider it an a per show basis. However, I'd think it would make a
difference in a mid sized venue especially when the Amusement tax in
Cleveland is 8%