Thanks for Rocking!

manny at telerama.com manny at telerama.com
Fri Jun 2 15:21:18 EDT 2006

Quoting your-friendly neighborhood-pain-in-the-ass <deviant_1 at hotmail.com>:

No, but if you are burned by a person with certain characteristics you might not
deal with that type of person again. And I'm not referring to race or ethnic
origin only. I just did that to get your dander up.

For example if a person has these characteristics:
1) Egyptian
2) a hookah bar owner
3) a norm (i.e. no relation to the goth scene or independent music)

and said person burns you, you might avoid dealing with such a person again.

if you wanted to do another show in a hookah bar, you might find one instead
that's owned by someone who can better identify with your subcultural situation
and is less likely just to see you as a quick buck. Now, admittedly I don't know
anything about the owners of the Sphinx Cafe (exactly! you say!) but when I
hear that someone wants an extra $300 to move a last-minute show, I would tend
to shy away from dealing with such a person rather than embrace them.

And if I had been called last-minute by Joe saying, 'Hey manny we need to
move this show last-minute, can we move it to GA?' and I would have said 'Joe,
no problem, glad to help, give me fifty bucks', well now, that is the kind of
helpful, subculturally-identified person you might be gravitating to. Right?

People who have been on here a long time have noted how I've related the change
in venue ownership in the scene in the early to mid 90s. In the 80s, all the
clubs (banana,upstage, graffiti & decade) were owned by older Italian wiseguy
wannabes from the 60s/70s/disco age, looking for a quick buck from alternative
music. I didn't relate to them, and the fact that I despised them was the whole
reason I opened the Sonic Temple in 1989. When venues started to be owned by
younger Gen-X people with more open cultural minds, and *many* (though not all)
of them were Jews, the scene started to expand and improve. And then you had
The Beehive, Laga, Quiet Storm, Millvale Industrial Theater etc.

Culture and upbringing and generational bias DOES have an effect on how people
see things and deal with each other. There is no question about this, it's
simple sociology.