Thanks for Rocking!

Adam Rixey arixey at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 16:12:42 EDT 2006

On 6/2/06, manny at telerama.com <manny at telerama.com> wrote:
> > Ugh, I CANNOT RESIST!  MY FINGERS ARE TYPING DESPITE MY BETTER JUDGEMENT!
> >
> > Like, uhm, if you'd managed to take over being the venue, despite
> > being on the other side of town (ignoring the fight with Jeremy)?  I
> > mean, so Joe'd have lost most of his audience, seeing as how walking
> > three blocks is much easier than driving 3 miles (for those that can
> > drive), but he'd have saved $300, and you'd have made $200!
>
> Sorry, but you're wrong.
>
> Your logic is flawed. Of course we now know it's only about the dark aesthetic
> and not the money. But let's go ahead and follow your line of reasoning
> anyway(ignoring the fight with Jeremy, which he could have put aside
> for scene solidarity's sake, being that it was *Joe's show*, not mine).
>
> 'Walking three blocks'? 'Most of his audience' implies a majority, i.e. more
> than half. So you're saying MORE THAN HALF the audience 'walked'
> to the show rather than took a bus or drove? At least EIGHTY-ONE of those 160
> people were from Oakland, or from within blocks away, in the middle of the
> summer? Hardly!

I'm pretty sure she was saying that it was three blocks from the other
venue.  If you show up at one place and can see a sign with an arrow
pointing to the new location, that's very different from finding out
that you have to go to some other part of town.  At a different time a
few hours later.  I bet you'd have a MUCH bigger drop off than half
the audience when faced with that sort of situation.  I know
personally, unless it was one of those rare bands I absolutely have to
see before dying, I'd probably find something else to do with my
evening.

And really, if I get to a venue and find it's closed and now somewhere
else, I figure there's only a 40% chance of the concert actually
happening in the first place.  I've certainly seen concerts cancelled
for less.

> And even after all that - I'm not absolutely arguing that the show HAD to be
> moved to GA anyway. As I said before, there were other options that would have
> come to my mind IMMEDIATELY a lot quicker than Sphinx Cafe. Joe didn't think of
> them because he didn't have the experience I do.

Awesome for you.  But it's all about location, location, location.  If
you tell people a show's going to be in a certain place, but then need
a last-minute reschedule, it's best to actually put it on within
spitting distance of that original location.

--
Adam Rixey
arixey at gmail.com