Philly, DC or Toronto?

Brian J. Parker brian.j.parker at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 11:06:02 EDT 2006

On 6/3/06, Sc'Eric (dj.darkFIN) <darkfin6012 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> [Also, how can you even attempt to call that little hole-in-the-wall
> Digi-Ferret amazing when you've got Eide's three floors (coupled with
> the dark-tronic expertise of Jim Semonik, et.al) to compare it with???

Eide's has three floors of amazingness, but only one small section of
one floor is genre, and it's almost entirely various flavors of
industrial, with a concentration on obscure/harsh.  If you're looking
for "goth," you get about one row-- maybe a couple dozen CDs.  Jim
does a phenomenal job, perhaps one of the best in the country, at
getting a selection of obscure harsh industrial.  And of course if I
was looking for comic books (which get a whole floor) or DVDs (another
whole floor) I'd go to Eide's.

But the truth is I regularly mail order from Digital Ferret
(www.isotank.com) because I'm looking for things Eide's just can't or
doesn't get.  (Or that they run out of stock on.)  The phenomenal new
Fields of the Nephilim album (best of career, IMO, from legends of the
genre) never made it there, as far as I know.  Almost nothing by E
Nomine, who rocked the Ceremony dancefloor, made it there.  Depeche
Mode singles.

I'm not dissing Eide's.  It fills a certain niche, and we're lucky to
have it so good in Pittsburgh.  But Digital Ferret is hardly a "hole
in the wall."