this Sautrday

manny at telerama.com manny at telerama.com
Fri Jun 9 03:27:02 EDT 2006

Because:

A lot of what was considered original 'goth' in the 80s and early 90s pre-Nine
Inch Nails (like Cure, Siouxsie, Bauhaus) is now too 'rock' to be 'goth' - it
is now just considered to be 'postpunk'. If She Wants Revenge dress in black,
listen to old JD CDs and play mere rock music, they are postpunk (like
Interpol). Not goth. At least by the new definition.

The current generation (Gen-Yers) that followed the initial mid-90s neogoth
revival (Gen-Xers) redefined what goth is. It's not live music much anymore.
It's electronic club music that goes thud. It's trenchcoats, LARPing,
livejournaling, dressing up in Hot Topic uniforms that are as much
Slipknot-looking as anything else. From my perspective, *I* would call it
'post-goth' because it is no longer goth as I knew it. But from the perspective
of the participants it is still goth because they call it goth. So if the
participants in the current incarnation of 'goth' call She Wants Revenge 'goth'
then it's goth, but if they don't consider it 'goth' then it's just postpunk or
some kind of chart-climbing alternative rock.

 I've been trying to figure out for quite some time why She Wants