this Sautrday

Chris Rapier rapier1 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 14:52:29 EDT 2006

On 6/9/06, manny at telerama.com <manny at telerama.com> wrote:

> Because:
>
> A lot of what was considered original 'goth' in the 80s and early 90s pre-Nine
> Inch Nails (like Cure, Siouxsie, Bauhaus) is now too 'rock' to be 'goth' - it
> is now just considered to be 'postpunk'. If She Wants Revenge dress in black,
> listen to old JD CDs and play mere rock music, they are postpunk (like
> Interpol). Not goth. At least by the new definition.

Manny speaks the truth. Basically, most goth music sucks now. Its
horrifically boring, pedantic, stultifying, and derivitive. I mean, if
you look at Holy Cow, Deception Bay, Spahn Ranch (I believe manny
brought the last two to the sonic temple) you had a goth esthetic
without all the noodly keyboard pseudo industrial "we have a drum
machine because we don't have enough rhythm to do it live and anyway i
can't fit drums into my mom's escort" bands that people now think of
as 'goth'. Goth and Industrial merged and it turns out that in this
marraige Industrial is Ike Turner.

> The current generation (Gen-Yers) that followed the initial mid-90s neogoth
> revival (Gen-Xers) redefined what goth is. It's not live music much anymore.
> It's electronic club music that goes thud. It's trenchcoats, LARPing,
> livejournaling, dressing up in Hot Topic uniforms that are as much
> Slipknot-looking as anything else.

In other words, they suck.

> From my perspective, *I* would call it
> 'post-goth' because it is no longer goth as I knew it. But from the perspective
> of the participants it is still goth because they call it goth.

I still blame Duchamp for all of this.