ambient lounge idea

manny at telerama.com manny at telerama.com
Mon Jun 12 18:45:39 EDT 2006

> > > a blackambientlounge, keyword: LOUNGE - cushy seats, table service,
> > > upscale over boho. Would've never lasted, I know, but would have been
> > > fun.

You could probably do this at Envy, the upscale black bar a couple doors down
from the Garfield Artworks. They already have a nice DJ system and small dance
floor (probably about 10 people could get busy). It kind of has a feel similar
to the way that Cafe Au Lait used to be when goth music was played weekly in
the back room (before it became Rumshakers). Booths and atmosphere are
definitely aimed towards upscale (there's never any thugs or trouble there -
the people who hang there are well-dressed, mostly West Africans). They also
have big TVs you could probably play videos on. I think if you were able to
bring about 20 drinking people each week they would probably be happy and
pretty much cede one night a week to you (they might even open on a night
they're now closed, such as Mon, Tue, Wed!).

The owner is always wondering to me why no white folks who come to the nearby
art galleries and rock shows come into Envy to drink. If there was a steady
club night there it would definitely break down the cultural barriers and
eventually make it more of a welcoming mixed place. I'd been thinking about
doing something like that myself (for example, it might be interesting to offer
an eclectic non-80s dance night every other Thursday, in alternation with the
Pandemic night at Brillobox) but I'm too busy at night with potential shows to
dedicate myself to being in the same place every week for a club night.

I might say you could try the Brillobox as well for the ambient lounge idea.
But they seem too busy already to offer another weekly spot to someone. In
comparison, Envy is virgin territory but people would already know where it is
(if they know where Modern Formations and Garfield Artworks are, and where The
Eye was).