under/over/drinking laws

Deeann M.M. Mikula deeann at d33ann.com
Fri Jun 23 09:06:44 EDT 2006

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Sc'Eric (dj.darkFIN) wrote:

> It's funny... literally everyone I know thinks the drinking age
> should be lower, and yet we all pass it off as something we can do
> nothing about--mostly because is "doesn't effect us".  But I think
> as long as we continue with that line of reasoning, our clubs are
> going to keep disappearing.... with more and more ridiculous laws
> taking their place.

I agree that the drinking age should be lower but for reasons other
than clubbing.  Kids starting drinking once they are out from under
the parents roof is a disaster waiting to happen.  I forget the %'age,
and I'm not about to do research at 06:00, but a significant # of
alcoholol poisonings occur with that STUPID 21 shots on the 21st
birthday thing.  Kids that are brought up tasting beer in liquor and
getting drunk a few times with their family would put an end to that
"omg I'm finally allowed to drink, let's drink as much as I can!"
thing that ends up with a call to 911.

Another disaster is the last call.  If liquo was available all night,
there would be far less of the pounding of drinks at 02:00 and the
subsequent drunk drive home.  Now, it's true that people would still
pound their drinks before they left the bar, but at least they
wouldn't all be on the roads and sidewalks at the same time, getting
into accidents and street brawls.

This country seriously needs to overhaul it's drinking laws, all the
public health data is there to support the above ideas, but no
politician wants to touch it, because we are still a puritan country.

Deeann M.M. Mikula

"Well behaved women rarely make history."
                 -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich