under/over

Brian J. Parker brian.j.parker at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 11:02:58 EDT 2006

On 6/23/06, j eric townsend <jet at flatline.net> wrote:
> At 10:11 PM -0700 6/22/06, Sc'Eric (dj.darkFIN) wrote:
> >And finally... I just don't understand the notion that Sisters, Nephilim and The Cure aren't danceable.
>
> And there are plenty of tracks by Neubauten, Nick Cave, Faith & the Muse etc that are danceable.

Anecdotally-- speaking for Ceremony-- Sisters and The Cure get played
a lot.  The former always used a prominent drum machine making them
pretty damn danceable in my opinion.  Much to my dismay, though, the
Nephilim just never do well so I've relegated them to early in the
night.  (They've got a tendency to write huge epics, too, rather than
single-oriented tracks.  Their new album is awesome, by the way.)

Neubauten and Cave get plenty of play there, too.  The latter seems to
be a Pittsburgh thing-- I don't see him on playlists from other cities
much.

> There's also a ton of  90s industrial from that era that rarely gets played at clubs but that I suspect the stompy crowd would enjoy: Meat Beat, Die Warzau, Battery, Sister Machine Gun or Diatribe.

Heh, tell Jim and Don that.  Frankly, we *were* playing that stuff all
the time when it was more current.  Sister Machine Gun was a huge
favorite of mine.  "Asbestoes Lead Asbestoes," "All Good Girls," and
"Meat Market" got good play.  Diatribe was almost the first G/I
concert at Laga when Ceremony was there.

To be honest, though, I don't carry most of them any more.  My arm is
already sore from hauling over 500 CDs every night...!

Anyway, these are all great suggestions, it's great to see ideas
thrown out instead of random bitching.

Brian (aka DJ Badtz)