under/over

Brian J. Parker brian.j.parker at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 13:43:00 EDT 2006

On 6/23/06, Chris Rapier <rapier1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> iPods are great as long as you only care about playing the music and
> not adding a personal flair to it. You have more flexibility with
> laptops but your still limited by the nature of the interface. I like
> the DJ CD players and iPod consoles that actually let you simulate
> using vinyl. But really, two turntables and microphone are always, in
> my view at least, going to be the gold standard.

The CD interfaces have come far, but turntablism is certainly easier
when you've got vinyl you can put tape on.  And let's face it, records
are sexier and showier if people are WATCHING you DJ.

Specific to the G/I scene, though, you're kind of forced to rely on
digital if you want to play anything after a certain date.  The
technology exists to press one's own records, but it's prohibitively
expensive.  Also-- as much as I enjoy the technical tricks one can
bring to DJing-- it is not something the G/I crowd typically cares
much about.