under/over

Jeremy David epistemology at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 14:13:27 EDT 2006

On 6/23/06, Chris Rapier <rapier1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Also, I'm not convinced the drinking laws should be lower. I think
> that they should be modified to change the role parents and guardians
> have in introducing their kids to alcohol though. But really, just
> arbitrarily dropping them to 18 or 16 or 12 or 2 without changing how
> the law actually regulates consumption isn't going to change things
> through some magical process. Thats just idle fantasy.

IIRC, your opinion on smoking laws was that your vices were your own
business and no one else's, even if they might bug somebody else and
affect public health. Why are your opinions on drinking laws any
different? I tend to believe that it's best that I get to decide what
I do and don't put into my body. The same goes for anybody else. If
somebody's 15 year old kid wants to get smashed on Bourbon, it's not
my problem and I don't really care.