under/over

Jeremy David epistemology at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 15:37:10 EDT 2006

On 6/23/06, Chris Rapier <rapier1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> ... They
> expect the live show to sound just like the CD and they get upset when
> its different. Which seems really fucking dumb to me. If they want it
> to sound just like the CD why not just play the CD really loud?

But people do just play the CD really loud and The People love it! In
our real actual universe, a DJ can get paid $10,000 or more for 4
hours of work, while the actual musicians who made the music on the
DJ's disks can't book a gig that pays more than bus fare and half a
pizza.

People prefer simulation. It's predictable, and therefore comforting,
which is the opposite of rock and roll, which is spontaneous and
exciting. The masses are far too jumpy about terrorists and avian flu
to allow anything unpredictable to happen. Their frazzled little
nerves just can't handle it. Music is now a commodity like corn and
oil: modular and manageable, and that's how The People like it.