remix wars 2006 (was Re: under/over

j eric townsend jet at flatline.net
Fri Jun 23 16:18:49 EDT 2006

At 2:35 PM -0400 6/23/06, Brian J. Parker wrote:
>I usually only do simple beatmixing, but get criticized almost as often as complimented for
>fiddling with the songs.  That may be Pittsburgh-specific, though;
>nothing but praise in other cities.

(Warning: sweeping generalization about the bay area scene follows.)

I heard plenty of mixing of industrial and EBM and so on in clubs on the west coast and don't remember anyone complaining.   At the same time, I don't remember hearing much mixing or previews from DJs who focused on 80s/90s goth/rock like NiN,  Sisters, Nick Cave, Faith & the Muse, etc.   You'd get a short cross fade if the songs were of similar tempo and an even shorter one of songs that weren't.

There were also a couple of  industrial/electro DJs who overlapped with the dark techno and goa crowds (probably due to burning man) who played their own mixes of songs or mixes done by other DJs and producers.    Again, don't remember hearing many people complain and I know that people were asking for dubs they could listen to at home.

Out of curiosity, do people complain when you mix certain types of songs or if you mix at certain clubs or is it just in general?
--
jet / KG6ZVQ
http://www.flatline.net