don't equivocate

S. Alexander Reed sareed at wm.edu
Thu Mar 2 00:57:40 EST 2006

Everyone,

Apologies for having seemed to equivocate.  I just don't think this is an
argument worth having, personally.  However, since you asked, here is what I
recall, though the details are sketchy.

I believe that TSN has played three shows for Manny (5/9/03 @ Rex w/ SMP, 11/
5/03 @ Rex w/ Jordan Decay -- Penis Flytrap cancelled, and 8/1/04 @ Shadow
Lounge with The Brides).  Again, details on all this are hazy, but I believe that we
had a loose verbal agreement about payment for the SMP show, or at least I had
perceived it as such.  When we were not paid for it, it was a frustration, though
probably less for me than for my bandmates, because I didn't feel it was
worthwhile to make a stink over it.  Instead, I merely made sure that when you
we agreed to play for you the next time, we had a written agreement.  For that
second show, I asked for $50, and you conceded $30.  As for the final concert, I
have zero recollection of the payment scenario, and my email records have a
multimonth gap in them, so I really can't say much about it.  If we were paid, it
was certainly $50 or less.

I stress again that I personally have no ill will for Manny, but I do understand
that for TSN (which despite not being the most famous act on Earth still has a
big enough fanbase to warrant a half dozen releases) to have played three
concerts, involving at least 12 hours of driving on Aaron's part (he lives 3 hours
away, and was present for the 1st and 3rd shows), all for less than $100 is an
anomaly.  Given the attendance at these shows, it is not an anomaly I imagine us
repeating in the future.  This is not entirely Manny's fault of course; the scene in
Pittsburgh is traditionally very lazy about coming out to shows, and as it has
been said many times before, if you don't come, they'll stop happening.

Jeremy is correct in that all three of these shows began and ended very late, and
that in every case we showed up to the venue before the promoter did.  Maybe
that's just because we're anal retentive about punctuality; I always prefer to give
the benefit of the doubt.

Though I am not upset at present about any of this (as evidenced by my
continued willingness to play solo shows for Manny's events), and while I on
principal don't hold grudges, I *do* understand Jeremy's frustration with the
situation, and I *do* understand how one might perceive it as a shafting.  I take
partial blame for this, as I (in at least one case) agreed on the band's behalf to
play for a low fee.  I will say, however, that when I was promoting shows, the
bands' payments were always more important to me than my own -- even local
acts for money-losing shows.  I did it that way because A.) it's the ethical and
professional thing to do, B.) I have toured and know it is harder on bands than
on promoters, and C.) it makes bands actively want to work with you again.
When I plan a tour, I would rather skip a city entirely than work with a promoter
who left a bad taste in my mouth the last time we collaborated for a show.  A
friendly, punctual, sociable, promise-keeping, and passionately invested
promoter can make up for any number of other technical or financial
misfortunes.

I hope that clears things up a bit.  I apologize to everyone for dragging details
as I have out into public; I normally wouldn't do such a thing, but I wanted to
demonstrate that my position in this (which I still very much regret is a public
affair at all) need neither be one lockstep loyalty nor waffling equivocation.

Best wishes,
Alex