promoter's

Brian J. Parker brian.j.parker at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 08:38:05 EST 2006

On 3/6/06, Chris Rapier <rapier1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Club Nights will Stop and people will do house parties.
>
> Oh noes not house parties!

Yeah, house parties aren't necessarily bad.  I've got a vested
interest in our one long lasting club night (Ceremony DJ) and I'll
still admit that I've had more fun at some house parties than some
club nights.  At the end of the day, it's all about sharing something
with people-- whether that "something" is a unique music performance,
a drunk night out, good conversation, or a great lay.

I lived in Las Vegas for a year and saw several club nights die in a
couple of months.  But a guy started having regular house parties and
after a year, 100-200 would show up for them.  Those house parties
WERE the "scene."

> > I have been to Cleveland to see Front 242 a few months ago, it was awesome.
> > Its a shame there isn't the GI scene in PGH that there is there.
>
> Yeah, we let them have that to make up for living in Ohio.

I'm jealous of some of Cleveland's great shows, but it ain't all milk
and honey.  I know some of the DJs and promoters and they have their
huge flops, too.  Just two weeks ago, one of the DJ/promoters visited
and we had a conversation about how a slow night at Ceremony whooped
great nights at their regular event.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with Patrick Bowers, who makes a great
point: if you don't like something, learn that D.I.Y. doesn't stand
for "bitch and moan about crap promoters."  Every person who promotes
did a first show at some point; they weren't born with a network of
contacts.  Go for it!  Maybe it won't work out, but you'll always have
what you did.  (Stop me before I get maudlin about my own show
promotion efforts...)

Brian (aka DJ Badtz)
(who might dust off his promoter's hat again this year)

P.S. - Yeah Maria, a lot of folks here have been having the same
arguments forever and have a good deal of history.  It's kind of
charming after the third iteration, like watching Rocky Horror and
knowing all the lines.