promoter's

Joseph Presley jwp7 at pitt.edu
Mon Mar 6 10:54:37 EST 2006

Jeremy David wrote:

> I think that you and I have very similar points, expressed
> differently. Basically my point about the pay-to-play/work-to-play was
> that if you're doing to deal with a shitty promoter who is going to
> ask you to do part of his job anyway, why not just do the whole thing
> yourself? You'll probably save yourself a few headaches doing it, such
> as not having to work with said shitty promoter, making sure the whole
> job is done right, and probably having some fun while doing it.

For what it's worth if you're a local band, there are venues that will
allow you to play, but they expect you to promote yourself. The ones
that I saw were Club Cafe and 31st St. Pub. Of course, you have to pitch
yourself to the owners. The deal is similar both of these venues, which
is bring in about 5 people per band member and they're pretty happy. The
owner makes money off of liquor sales; you keep the door money. Club
Cafe's web site even has a how to page for promoting yourself.