my response

Matt Condon arcane93 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 9 10:43:11 EST 2006

Joseph Presley wrote:
> How would you deal with the logistics? It doesn't sound like a trivial
> problem to keep track of how many tickets the band sold and to get the
> money from the band for the tickets they sold.

Fairly simple . . .  Keep track of how many tickets you give the band,
and expect that you'll get back a combination of money and leftover
tickets equivalent to that number by the time of the show.  So if you
give them 20 tickets at $10 each, and they sell 12, you should get $120
and 8 tickets back.  It can be up to someone in the band to deal with
organizing how they deal with the tickets amongst the individual band
members.  Nothing too complicated about that, really.

You could also, in theory, make the tickets that you give each band
slightly different, so that you can tell immediately when someone uses
one who they bought it from.  If the amount of money that you've gotten
from the band isn't at least equivalent to the number of tickets used,
then obviously there's a problem (I say "at least" because it's possible
someone might buy a ticket and not show up, but if you're getting more
tickets back than you've gotten money for, obviously there's an issue).

It's not like you're dealing with a large, unmanageable number of bands
or tickets here.  Most shows don't have more than three or four bands
involved at most (many only one or two local bands), and most shows of
this nature won't draw excessively large numbers of people no matter how
well you and the bands promote.

Matt