my response

Matt Condon arcane93 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 9 11:07:17 EST 2006

Jeremy David wrote:
> But then I still wonder, if you're a band, and you're playing in a
> venue small enough that you don't need a professional promoter to deal
> with the venue owner (Such as Club Cafe, Garfield Artworks, 31st St
> Pub, etc.), and you're going to be selling most of the tickets
> yourself anyway, and doing most of the advertising yourself, what do
> you need a promoter at all for? Why not just do the whole thing
> yourself?

I would certainly think that would be your option if you want to do
that.  On the other hand, the promoter still has quite a number of
tasks.  The promoter arranges the venue, along with the sound system and
sound person if the venue doesn't already have one.  He or she takes on
the financial risk of any guarantees involved for the venue and the
headlining acts.  He or she also takes care of advertising -- putting up
fliers, placing ads in local publications, posting the show on the
internet, etc.  I'm sure there are other tasks as well.  Really, selling
tickets is only a very small part of the promoter's job.

I would hope that as a band member with an upcoming show, you'd be
talking the show up to your friends and acquaintances regardless.
Having tickets to sell isn't really that much more work, and just gives
you that much more leverage to get people to show up.

Matt