quittin' smoking

Jeremy David epistemology at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 12:27:20 EST 2006

Hi Dee!

Anyway, the health effects of second hand smoking are obvious. When
people who aren't dulled to tobacco's effects are around it, they
start coughing and become nauseated. You don't need a scientific study
to prove that. It's apparent anywhere people are smoking.

Now, I'm glad you brought up alcohol! We don't need to apply the same
laws to alcohol because similar laws are *already* applied. You can't
walk down the street drinking, and being publicly drunk is against the
law. If you want to serve alcohol at a restaurant or bar, you must
apply for a permit and follow specific rules concerning how you may
serve it. You can only drink at specific places at specific times. I'm
just asking that the same rules are applied to smoking.

P.S. Just to keep everything out in the open and to not give anyone a
false impression of my attitudes towards drugs, the last time I had a
beer, I also smoked two whole cigarettes, but it was in my own porch
at my own house. No one was at risk who didn't already want to be at
that time. I just think it should be fair for anyone, at any time, to
be in the kind of place that they want to be in, especially when it
directly affects their health.