quittin' smoking

Chris Rapier rapier1 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 12:50:15 EST 2006

This doesn't actually have anything to do with what you said as much
as the comon usage of the word hypocrisy is one of those annoyingly
fascinating things to me. It seems that many people think that a moral
or ethical inconsistancy is equivilant to hypocrisy. Which is weird
because no one is perfectly morally consistent. Does that make
everyone a hypocrit? Its really one of the more poorly applied
critiques. To be clear hypocrisy is if I preach one thing as virtuous
and necessary while I consistantly engage the very behaviour I am
lambasting. I'm not quite sure where you saw that in what I was
saying. I was calling for moderation and respect for other people
wishes and a level of responsible polite adult behaviour. I'm not sure
how that sinks to the level of hypocrisy.

As for your analogy, it was hyperbolic to the point of being
inapplicable. Which is why I wrote what I did. I'm, sorry it got you
mad but if I did address your specific anaology it would have
necessarily shifted the focus of the conversation into entirely
different directions.