quittin' smoking

Brian Pennington cellophanesky at mac.com
Tue Mar 14 17:36:02 EST 2006

On Mar 14, 2006, at 3:59 PM, Christopher tm wrote:
> On 3/14/06, Jeremy David <epistemology at gmail.com> wrote:
>> You're blaming lobbyists for anti-smoking sentiment and laws? Surely
>> you must be joking.
>>
>> Or maybe you haven't heard of the literally billions of dollars that
>> tobacco corporations spend to keep their product legal and virtually
>> un-regulated?
>
> Virtually unregulated?
>
> Now you're joking?

	Actually, it might surprise you to learn that cigarettes are not
regulated by the government at all. The FDA, which normally has
jurisdiction over such things, is not allowed to regulate cigarettes.
There is no one, literally no one telling the cigarette companies
what an acceptable level of mousepoop is, and furthermore no one
telling them they can't put rat poison into cigarettes (which they
do). I'll bet you have no idea what's in a cigarette. It's not just
tobacco, I can tell you that, unless you're rolling your own.

> And, yes, lobbyists. Anti-smoking laws aren't parthenogenically
> sprouting out of Congressmens' foreheads.

	There are a fair number of politicians in the pockets of big tobacco
companies and there always will be as long as politicians like money
(i.e. until time stops). The difference is that most people
appreciate a politician who creates laws that get smoke out of their
faces, since there are more non-smokers than smokers. If you think
that there is more money spent lobbying against smoking than there is
for it, your head is so far in the ground that nothing I can say is
going to get it out. These are massive companies and they make a ton
of money, and they spend a lot trying to get across the message that
smoking is cool and not that bad for you.