PGH Downtempo -- Good and Evil?

Jeremy David epistemology at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 12:31:53 EST 2006

On 3/20/06, Deeann M.M. Mikula <deeann at d33ann.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Mar 2006, gwen wrote:
>
> > > Downtempo music. I also proclaim Frederick of Vampire Nation as the unofficial
> > > Godfather (in absentia, courtesy of the PA Dept of Corrections) of our
>
> Hahahaha.  I'm sorry.  That still makes me laugh, despite feeling
> sorry for him.  I think he was a good guy at heart*, and when on his
> meds, I got along with him just fine and mediated many arguments
> between him and other people.  But jesh, what a troublemaker.
>
> I take it he is still in jail for the foreseeable future.  DIdn't he
> get out and then do something else stupid that ended him back up in
> jail?

Well, the Internets tells me this.

South Side
Man gets 63 months in online auction scam

A South Side man has been sentenced to more than five years in prison
for his convictions stemming from a scheme to defraud online Internet
auction customers by using counterfeit checks to purchase collector's
coins and computer equipment, federal authorities said Tuesday.

Frederick H. Banks, 38, was sentenced in federal court to 63 months in
prison. Banks was convicted on eight counts of mail fraud and received
an enhanced prison sentence for perjury and witness intimidation
during his trial, the Financial Crimes Task Force of Southwestern
Pennsylvania announced.

Banks, who created and mailed $167,000 worth of counterfeit checks to
online sellers, currently is serving a five-year sentence for a prior
mail fraud conviction, the task force said.

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/trib/regional/s_433436.html

> *Hmm, I guess I tend to think everyone is good at heart.  Shall we
> debate whether man is born good or evil?**

Good, Evil? Whatever. I just think it's a smart idea to not make a
habit of stealing and defrauding people because if you do it for long
enough, you'll end up in jail with Fred. Personally, I feel bad for
the guy because while people loved to make fun of him, very few people
had the nerve to tell him that what he was doing was not only wrong,
but would probably get him into serious trouble eventually.

If you give people a pass on breaking the law in small ways, i.e.
ripping off sound boards and music gear from radio stations and
concert venues, stealing pitas from the Giant Eagle under your coat,
etc., they can end up getting in real trouble in the end. I hope that
happens to no one here. The easy way to not go to jail is to not break
the law.