Of A Mesh is on Soundclick!

Chris Rapier rapier1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 15:47:38 EST 2006

On 3/22/06, manny at telerama.com <manny at telerama.com> wrote:
> Quoting "Michael J. Salo" <salo at rcn.com>:
>
> Of course the music *existed*.
> But there was no 'scene' here for it, specifically.
> i.e. nobody congregated in groups, either for shows or dance nights, under the
> term 'goth' or even 'dark rock'.

Manny, that there might not have been a goth show or club doesn't mean
anything in terms of there being a scene. A scene like goth or punk is
not defined by the music. The music is an important characteristic but
it doesn't define or deliniate the boundaries of a scene. If this was
the case than neither of these scenes would have survived the decline
of the original bands. I know that you can't accept this as I believe
you define all scenes in terms of the music and of that only the live
musical performances. Which means, that in your view at least, without
the live music there is no scene. This however, is a very narrow and
limited view and contradicted by experience of people who have
actually been in the scene. I am not, in anyway, denigrating the
important and influential role you played but your characterization
is, in my view, somewhat askew.

> The first band to clearly known and clearly play out as 'industrial' were P.
> Children from Carnegie Mellon (I put out a 7" and 10" for them, they also had
> an LP and a CD later on on Charnel Music),

Yeah, I still have the lucite 7" Pretty good music really.