Docs, Nurses, Attorneys, Music

Chris Rapier rapier1 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 00:13:10 EST 2006

On 3/22/06, manny at telerama.com <manny at telerama.com> wrote:
> Quoting CHAD or Lisa <vequinoxmusic at msn.com>:
>
> > The history of gothic/dark music in Pittsburgh did exist prior
> > to 1988. I just don't think it was labeled as such.
> >  I know first hand that The Nine were formerly known as
> > S.D.I. They formed prior to 1985 when they were still in high school.
> > Although I do not recall that any Nine or S.D.I. shows were ever labeled as
> > "Goth."
>
> Exactly my point. Without a distinctive label 'goth' was not a separate scene,

Manny, what you fail to grasp is that people were using that term in
Pittsburgh prior to the show in question. They were even hanging out
with each other. They were even referring to it as a scene. That you
weren't aware of this only shows that you weren't there. The fact that
you didn't have the personal experience doesn't mean it didn't exist.
You can only argue that without shows and club nights a scene doesn't
really exist -  which is really the core of your argument and is
actually a much more interesting question to consider.