Docs, Nurses, Attorneys, Music

Chris Rapier rapier1 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 11:13:02 EST 2006

On 3/23/06, manny at telerama.com <manny at telerama.com> wrote:

> So it's a matter of precise wordsmithery. Instead of saying 'that show started
> the Pittsburgh goth scene' I can instead say 'that show was the first in
> Pittsburgh to be specifically labelled and promoted as being a goth show'.

I'll agree with that unreservedly and I will add that it was a very
good and important show that *did* have important repercussions in the
freak oriented live music scene as a whole. Kids were referring to
themselves as goth prior to that show and they were hanging out. They
were not as... narrowly defined as they are now so they hung out with
punks and other freaks and went to all sorts of shows but they were
there.

Also, I just remembered SDI. Shit. I still have one of their tapes  -
I think I got it at the Dead Milkmen show - they opened up for them I
think. Of course, that was half my life ago so the memories are hazy.

> And that is certainly pioneering spirit enough, given that it was, most likely,
> Pittsburgh's first 'goth' show, and certainly the first large-scale one.

Well hell yeah Manny. I never said you didn't have a pioneering
spirit. I think you've been critical in bringing in some of the best
music this city has heard. We just need to ignore that you had
anything to do with the Mommyheads show.