Maryanne Amacher yesterday

manny at telerama.com manny at telerama.com
Wed Mar 29 12:15:53 EST 2006

Well.

I went to see Maryanne Amacher yesterday evening [lecture was free
at McConomy Auditorium, CMU from 5 to 7 pm]. First she explained the details
of a work she was installing in caves below Teotihuacan in Mexico.

Then she played one of her pieces for the last 20 minutes of the lecture,
through six speakers, mixing it live. People were invited to get up and walk
through the auditorium. I parked myself in front of one of the subs. The
massive wall of dark dense drone was unbelievably loud. After a while you could
hear the overtones inside your skull. Wicked. That is experimental music. That
is industrial music. That is dark music. You haven't experienced it yet until
you have immersed yourself in something like the crushing volume of this
woman's masterworks. The only things it is comparable to are Glenn Branca
(except done with electronic sources) and Phill Niblock. Maybe also
Hafler Trio, or Pan Sonic minus the beats. Anyway it was really good.

-MT