HIM

Brian J. Parker brian.j.parker at gmail.com
Wed May 3 20:23:50 EDT 2006

On 5/3/06, usual suspect in black <newdigitalwaste at digitalexp.com> wrote:
> Is any one familiar with a band from Findland
> called HIM. I came across this group some time back.
> Obtained both their/his discs.

I don't know which CDs you got when you say "both," but they've got
several, more than two.

I picked up their "EP" collection and bought most of their singles
since then so I could play them at Ceremony.  They're popular with the
Hot Topic crowd since skateboarder Bam Margera (of Jackass fame)
started talking them up.  My sense is that they became "slicker" over
time, sacrificing a more gothic sound for an almost AOR one.

I personally feel like they have some brilliant moments (the old "Join
Me In Death," the new "Wings Of A Butterfly," and some neat covers
like "Solitary Man" and "Wicked Game" inbetween) but mostly I don't
care for them.  They do, whoever, have a very appealing aesthetic--
lots of black, gothic metal imagery, and a very skinny frontman with
great cheekbones who smokes a lot and wears low-slung pants.

Even if I don't care for the music, I love seeing it discussed on the
list, so I'm glad you brought them up.  ^_^

Bam has also spoken well of another band called 69 Eyes who I like a
lot better.  They're kind of cheesy but a lot of fun, maybe Type O
Negative meets The Wake.

Brian (aka DJ Badtz)