Antony (was Re: Neofolk comps / Neofolk-Freakfolk crossover)

Manny manny at garfieldartworks.com
Tue Dec 18 12:46:31 EST 2007

Antony is worthwhile, indeed.

But once again he is just one of many artists in over-arching genres
that those who are too obsessed with club stuff are missing out on.
There are *many* unique voices in the dark-folk, freak-folk,
dark-country and cabaret genres (and yes, many  are quirky and take
some getting used to, if all you're used to is vocals that mostly sound
like Dave Gahan or Cevin Key or whatever). In fact  Pittsburgh has
hosted many such shows in the past few years (Antony, too - at the
Warhol).

Joanna Newsom. Alela Diane. Devendra Banhart. Damon & Naomi. My
Brightest Diamond. several more I can't think of right now but if I
went upstairs and got the new copy of Arthur magazine I could rattle
them off.

And may I suggest looking into singer/harpist/cabaret tranny BABY DEE -
he/she is going to be the next Antony, and is following a similar path:
two CDs on Durtro, touring with C93, and now a CD coming out on Drag
City in Jan (I've already heard it) which I would recommend -members of
Antony & the Johnsons, Coil, C93, PTV play on it and Will Oldham
(Bonnie Prince Billy, the guy who 'sees a darkness') and Matt Sweeney
(Chavez) also produce it. I don't know how much more 'goth/indie
crossover' you can get than that.

Oh - I know how you can. You can buy the new Rasputina record on VINYL,
like several dozen people did at the show this past Thu (including me,
although I didn't get there until after the show was done). It's a good
'un.

-MT