2nd- (or 3rd-?) wave Post-Rock (aka Nu-Instrumental?)

Sc'Eric (aka sc'Que) darkfin6012 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 29 02:11:23 EST 2007

Manny~

>From what I've been able to piece together about the genres you're referring to--CokeMachineGlow.com is calling it (interchangeably) 3rd Wave Post-rock or Nu-Instrumental, btw--I have to say that the style, overall, does appeal to me.  The tendency toward vocallessness is particularly inviting, provided the music "goes somewhere" and doesn't drown itself in monotonously repetitive drivel (the type often present in a Phish guitar solo).

But to anticipate what I think you're really asking, though, Manny:  I would not (probably) go out of my way to see a "show" that featured this style of music unless I was extremely familiar with--and absolutely adored--one of the bands.  I would, on the other hand, shit a brick (in the most positive sense of the phrase) to hear the genre in a small pub setting--live or Memorex.  [This track <http://temporaryresidence.com/mp3s/mono_theflames.mp3> from Mono is exactly the kind of moody, beatless... STUFF that I want backing me up in a post-work pub session with a friend and a snifter of Laphroaig Quarter-cask.]

My reasoning?  From everything I've heard in my limited research, there is not much going on in the style that would indicate to me that "seeing" a live performance would get me anything more than a cd could provide... except perhaps more unwanted amp feedback, broken-guitar-string screw-ups, and rude show-goers who talk over a live performance.  And what I've heard is simply too clean... isn't sludgey enough to evoke a musically-induced mind-fuck where an innocent conversation ends up more like a 5-hour alien-abduction scenario.  More simply: the style does not seem to lend itself to visual antics of any sort.  (All this is the same sort of logic I apply when deciding whether to see a movie in the theatres... or wait until it goes to dvd.)  Does that answer your question, Manny?

Finally, one question for you:  in most of the recordings I'm hearing online that do involve noticeable percussion... why do the drums always seem to be so crisply-mic'd and poorly mixed?  **Ick!**  These kids need to employ a board-op with darkambient sensibilities.

Another item on this post-rock note... Dunno whether any of you folks heard, but My Bloody Valentine already has 3+ shows booked for 2008.  (Their June 20th show in London sold out in under a minute!)  And after Europe, they plan to hit the US... =D

~sc'eric

        Zola New World Bistro

: innovative cuisine : creative cocktails :

sc'Que

  page personal d' sc'Eric