vampire romance novels

Brian J. Parker brian.j.parker at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 09:52:42 EDT 2008

A series of "vampire romance novels" (Twilight) written by an author
(Stephanie Meyers) who is roughly my age are the current craze among
teenage girls, riding a wave of hype that might crest at Harry potter
levels.  The "Vampire Kisses" series (adapted into a TOKYOPOP manga
and featured in an American Library Association promotional poster,
which is how I found out about this stuff) has a similar plot, with
sixteen year old goth girl Raven bagging a vampire boyfriend of her
own.

Are we grooming a new generation for a long-overdue goth revival?  A
lot of folks think the vampire stuff is a more ridiculous aspect of
the subculture, but most of us have some embarrassing high school
secret that was our "gateway drug" to the scene; whether it be heavy
metal, vampire romance novels, or just not finding anyone else who
would put up with our mopey selves.