As the Goth turns..

Jeremy epistemology at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 16:37:31 EST 2008

Well it sure sounds like you're just rattling off on something you
have no idea about. Fukuyama's "The End Of History" has nothing to do
with music, nor does it have to anything to do with "running out of
ideas" in general. If you had read the book you'd know that.

Fukuama's thesis is about ideology in governance, and it has nothing
to do with running out of good ideas. He merely asserts that liberal
democracy used to be one of many options, but now it's the only one,
and we appear to be happy with that decision, and also that Communism
is fundamentally incompatible with democracy. He also follows along
the Scottish Enlightenment line of thinking in regards to master-slave
duality. It has nothing to do with pop music whatsoever. Not even
close.

If you're trying to draw some analogy here, I don't think there's one
to be drawn. You're saying that Western culture is now looking outward
for new musical ideas. Fukuyama's main point is that we've stopped
looking outward for political ideas.

Did you even read the book, at all? Seriously?